Friday, December 19, 2008

Sculpture




This fall I did a massive project with my elementary art students. Jeff Mather, a resident artist from the Woodruff Arts Center in Atlanta, spent a month in my class teaching my kids about sculpture. The students learned about perspective and made a design for a sculpture to go on our school grounds. Then Jeff and I collaboratively merged the drawings together to create one sculpture design. The art classes, parent volunteers, and I spent 6 days digging post holes, pouring concrete, sanding, painting, and drilling to create our permanent work of art. Once it was completed there was a ribbon cutting ceremony to celebrate the event. The kids had a ball learning to use all the power tools and saw that when we all work together we really can accomplish something big!

No comments: