Thursday, February 18, 2010

My Son's Nursery


I finally finished getting my son's nursery ready. He's going to be here in just a few days!

There were a lot of little projects I did in the room. I made him a baby quilt with sweet little elephants on it. I collected some fabulous art on Etsy and from family treasures. I distressed my husbands' childhood dresser (he carved a rocket on one of the drawers as a child.) This was the first time I ever distressed a piece of furniture before and I learned a lot, so I'm going to share my tips with you:

Distressing Furniture:

Step 1: Remove the handles. Sand off as much of the old paint or varnish as you can with sandpaper. (Mine still had a stained look which is fine. Just get all the shiny paint off.) An electric sander is not recommended because everything will look too perfect.

Step 2: Take a thick white or clear wax candle and rub it on all the edges of the dresser and drawers.

Step 3: Paint everything with acrylic latex house paint.

Step 4: Sand the edges and surfaces, especially where you put the candle wax.

Step 5: Apply a VERY THIN coat of Polyurethane. It is very important to only do one side of the dresser at a time while it is laying flat. I learned the hard way that if the furniture is standing up while you do this, you'll end up with a ton of runny drips running down the sides of the dresser.
Links to the Artwork I bought on Etsy:

1 comment:

Jodi Kendall said...

It turned out great! You should submit his room to Ohdeehdoh as a nursery tour.



www.jodikendall.blogspot.com